Saturday, May 5, 2012

Prom Dress: The Beginning

Sooo, this year I decided I would sew my prom dress!  It's nice to have a little thing to work on that's NOT school-related.  I wanted something vintage-inspired, but made from some interesting, modern fabric.  I had seen a lot of those dresses with the cuff on the bodice, which I liked.  I wanted to get a vintage pattern, too, because oftentimes back then people paid more attention to high-quality details like boning, waist stays, hemming, etc.
So here are my sketches:



I went to Toronto over spring break and got some AMAZING fabric from a store called Peach Berserk, which my mom and I have loved for a long time.  It's the Misbehavin' Mermaids print in silver ink on top of turquoise silk dupioni.  GORGEOUS!



And in terms of a pattern, I ordered this great one from McCall's (1950).  Love the cuff on the bodice and the a-line skirt.  All I'll have to change is the sizing and the neckline.




And lastly, my grandmother gave me some awesome low-heeled vintage turquoise shoes, which i matched the fabric to.  Unfortunately I don't know if I'll be able to fit into them post-surgery, but we'll see.



And that, my friends, is the recipe for a delectable dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment