Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sleepy Hollow Dress: 1790's Corset

Unfortunately or fortunately, gowns of the past have rarely ever been one-piece affairs.  A certain silhouette was desired depending on the era (I'll do more on this later).  The 18th-century silhouette was a conical torso with full hips and fitted, streamlined sleeves:

In order to achieve this cone shape, women wore corsets.  By this time, corsets had been well-developed and almost always contained boned tabs at the waist to reduce pinching, and laced up in the back, front, or both.  In order to achieve the stiffness required for a corset, the corset consisted of at least two layers of fabric with stitched channels for boning (basically any strip of stiff material used for supportive garments).  They were historically boned with either baleine (whalebone) or reeds.  Since I would probably be arrested for using baleine, I chose reeds.  They're quite nice!  Though I wish I'd used steel bones for the tabs... they sort of bent out of shape after some wear.
Anyway, PICTURES!
Sorry about this obvious mirror pic.
The back...
Sorry there weren't any in-progress pictures!  I made this out of a peach silk/linen/cotton blend for the outside, corset coutil for the inside, and some silk to line, with reed boning and bias tape binding.
Ah, enough vanity for now!  I wish that my figure could look this great every day... alas.


No comments:

Post a Comment